Thursday, April 23, 2009

Twenty-Two: Keukenhof!


In the days leading up to our visit to the world's largest flower garden (about 40 km southwest of Amsterdam in Lisse), Kim and I had one conversation over and over. Kim, "Kouwkinoff!" Jess "Kookenkoph." Kim, "Kouwkinoff!" Jess "Kookinauf" Kim,"Koukinhoof!" Jess, "Kookenhoof!" When we told people about our impending visit, we had to repeat the name several times in several ways before they understood. "Oooooh, Keukenof!" they would say. "Yeah, Kookinov. That's what I said."

We went with Amanda, another ex-pat from E & Y. It was Saturday afternoon on one of about two peak bloom weekends so it was packed. We sat in traffic for an hour. There were tour buses full of seniors. When we finally got through the gates our conversation went a little like this:

Kim, "Holy crap!" Amanda "Woooww." Jess, "There are way too many people here... Ooooooo, look at that orange!" Amanda, "Look at that pink!" Kim,"Look at that red!" Jess "Oh my god which way should we go?" Kim, "This is ridiculous!" Amanda, "Amazing!" Jess, "Incredible. Why is everyone old?"

After about two hours of ogling and exclaiming, snapping photos, eating ice cream, petting baby animals and getting lost in a hedge maze, our conversation went like this:

Kim, "That red is pretty." Amanda, "Yeah." Jess,"That orange is just so...bright." Amanda "Yeah." Kim, "Those are pretty..." Amanda "Mmmm". Jess, "Those are pretty." Amanda, "Uh huh." Kim, "I'm starting to feel a little... I mean there's just so much. It's... I, I feel..." Jess, "Burnt out?" Kim,"Yes! That's it, I'm burnt out!" Jess, "Yeah, my eyes hurt." Amanda, "I don't think I can look at any more tulips." Kim, "No. No more tulips." Jess, "My eyes hurt..."

We agreed that although you're always bound to run into crowds, it's definitely worth a visit. Buying your tickets on line and going very early on a weekday helps a little. We're taking Laura and Jack the day after they arrive. It will be the craziest day of the year in the Netherlands - Queen's Day (Koninginnedag). It will be traditional costume day at Keukenhof. I couldn't invent a better nightmare scenario for Big L and Captain Jack, but the flowers are fading fast and there's not a moment to lose!

2 comments:

Shireen Deboo said...

i just used one of the tulip photos for my desktop screen image. thanks...

Anonymous said...

Updates?
We're still shopping for August tix.
But not for a puppy!

Curious? Call!

Enjoy the barge.... Tulipheads!!

Nick et al